Saturday, February 2, 2008

Dearest Lurker

An anonymous faith-addled lurker -- possibly two distinct anonymous faith-addled lurkers -- offered these comments to an earlier post of mine:

no dale, ray comfort doesn't hate atheists or even you ...
He doesn't even hate me? Does he know how much of an asshole I am? I am impressed, I guess, but not very; but I am not half as impressed with Ray Comfort's capacity for love as I am with your mind-reading abilities.
u have a choice of how you live your life, but think about what awaits you in eternity ,the problem is we were born into sin and we are all sinners read the book of john in the bible the answer is there
I'm feeling rather lazy right now -- not quite lazy enough to resort to abbreviating the word "you," but lazy nonetheless -- so I'll just paste an answer I previously gave to a similar formulation of Pascal's Wager in the same comments thread, which went unanswered: do you worry that the god of Islam might be the one true god and that by not devoting your life to Islam you're making a terrible mistake that you'll have to ponder through eternity?

I didn't think so.

The point is, it's really easy to think of gods and reasons to be afraid of how they'll treat you after death. No matter what god you insert into that story line, and no matter how scary the afterlife you insert, it doesn't constitute a reason to think the story is actually true. Continuing the anonymous comments:
jesus said i am the way the truth and the life ,no man comes to the father except through me.
Cool! While we're quoting stuff, on page 378 of my paperback edition of Moby Dick, Herman Melville writes of ambergris:
Who would think, then, that such fine ladies and gentlemen should regale themselves with an essence found in the inglorious bowels of a sick whale! Yet so it is.
You have to admit it is pretty freaky to think people used to take something out of the digestive tract of sperm whales and use it for fragrances. Melville had a point there.
all these other fale religions do not offer hope or forgiveness of your sins admit you are a sinner meaning you have broken God's laws the ten commandments lying ,stealing , adultery, jesus said if you look at another person with lust it the same as commiting the act , we are all guilty before God,HE WILL FORGIVE IF YOU ASK AND PUT YOUR FAITH IN HIM. HAVE A GREAT DAY!
I doubt it's any consolation to you, but I don't follow any of those 'fale' religions either. (I know, I know, it's cheap and easy to pick on typographical errors, but as I said, I am an asshole.) And as far as it goes, I am a sinner by the terms of the definition you've given -- I don't care, mind you, but I admit I am a sinner as thus defined. But as for the idea that your favorite god will forgive me if I put my faith in him, I'm afraid you're too late by the terms of the holy book you claim to follow. Luke 12:10 says:
If you speak against the Son of Man, you can be forgiven, but if you speak against the Holy Spirit, you cannot be forgiven.
I've gone well past speaking against the so-called Holy Spirit right up to denying it exists, has any applicability to my life or human affairs generally, or even means anything.

Have a great day yourself.

No comments: