Friday, February 1, 2008

Justice!

Earlier today, a federal judge cleared the way for Oregon's domestic partnership law to go into effect:

The new law would allow gay couples to file joint state tax returns, inherit each other's property, make medical decisions for each other and enjoy most of the other state benefits and responsibilities that married residents receive.
These are the most basic of rights and it's about damned time.

Religious institutions remain free to pretend gay people don't count, and remain free to decline to officiate or sanction marriage rites for gays and lesbians.

Oregon, meanwhile, has embraced equality and justice. This makes me proud to be an Oregonian.

3 comments:

Miss Welby said...

Congratulations!, this is great news, we envy you in Italy.

I've given you a link, visit me and let me know if you want to reciprocate.

Ciao! :)

Dale said...

Happy to reciprocate, Miss Melby. My Italian is nowhere near the level of your English, but I'll muddle through.

Domestically Challenged said...

WooooHooooo! It's about F'n time!