Monday, February 11, 2008

Nearest Book Meme

Via Crooked Timber, here's an interesting blog meme:

1. Grab the nearest book (that is at least 123 pages long).
2. Open to page 123.
3. Go to the 5th sentence.
4. Type in the following 3 sentences.
5. Tag five people.

My three sentences come from The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. It was tied with an instructional C# book for the nearest book to me fitting the criteria, but since I am actively reading the Dawkins book, and since it's more interesting, and since it's almost Darwin Day, I settled the tie in favor of Dawkins. Here are the three sentences:

I am treating a mother as a machine programmed to do everything in its power to propagate properties of the genes which reside inside it. Since you and I are humans who know what it is like to have conscious purposes, it is convenient for me to use the language of purpose as a metaphor in explaining the behaviour of survival machines.
In practice, what would it mean to say a mother had a favourite child?
As I wasn't actually tagged, and as I don't like the tagging thing, I'll do the usual of tagging everyone and no one. If you find this interesting enough to carry forward, please consider yourself tagged, and I'd be flattered if you linked back to here.

No comments: