Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I [Heart] Negative Campaign Ads

I just heard Dan Abrams on the tee-vee say "everyone says they hate negative ads" in the course of discussing Clinton's recent victories over Obama. It seems that lots of people do hate negative ads, or say they do.

I know what I hate, and I don't hate negative ads. Negative ads can provide compelling reasons to vote one way or another in an election, and there's nothing wrong with that. "A vote for John McCain is a vote for continuing the Bush strategy in Iraq and the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy" -- that would be a negative ad slogan, and one worth hearing. It would also be truthful.

Dishonest ads are another matter, as are ads that give true but irrelevant information. It is possible to be negative without being dishonest.

No comments: