Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama's Speech: Et Tu, Tweety? Et Tu, Murray?

Regarding Obama's speech on race today: I just heard Chris Matthews -- Chris Matthews of all people, Tweety himself -- praise it by saying "I've never heard a speech on race that was as BS-free as this one I heard today." I might have the verbatim wording off a little, but it's very close.

He happens to be right: the speech was extremely free of bullshit as these sorts of proclamations go. The speech didn't pander and didn't oversimplify. It condemned ideas but acknowledged and shielded personal connections. It saw multiple sides, and didn't wish away ugly truths. It challenged everyone to think anew about this tangle of controversies and antagonisms.

And in that same vein, here's Charles Murray (of race and IQ fame) on Obama's speech:

I read the various posts here on "The Corner," mostly pretty ho-hum or critical about Obama's speech. Then I figured I'd better read the text (I tried to find a video of it, but couldn't). I've just finished. Has any other major American politician ever made a speech on race that comes even close to this one? As far as I'm concerned, it is just plain flat out brilliant—rhetorically, but also in capturing a lot of nuance about race in America. It is so far above the standard we're used to from our pols.... But you know me. Starry-eyed Obama groupie.
When self-identified conservatives like Charles Murray and beltway opinion leaders like Tweety issue this degree of praise, suffice to say you've made a good speech.

This speech might have a sweep and a force beyond what anyone has guessed so far. Maybe.

I know, I know -- mere words. But words have power, and some words live longer than others.

2 comments:

: JustaDog said...

It was total BS - well prepared and delivered to the suckers in the very state that will hold their primary soon - duh, coincidence I guess.

Well now it's official - Obama is running on a platform of race, and if you don't vote for him and his millionaire wife then you are guilty of racism.

Dale said...

Wow, justadog. Are you really this dumb or do you just play dumb to be provocative?