Friday, March 7, 2008

Peck Away

While I am something of a cheapskate -- one must save one's peas and carrots if one is to be ready for that fell day when more gasoline must be purchased -- I am also prey to superstitions, usually offbeat and uninteresting ones.

To wit: I have been harboring the superstition that I can never fully overcome the current case of shin splints until I buy the orange Nike running shirt I recently spotted in one of my retail haunts. So, earlier today, the superstition got the better of my niggardliness* and I bought the orange shirt, delighted that it had fallen $2 in price since I first began stalking it.

It would be absurd to have a new running shirt and not be able to use it because of a persistent shin injury. The world simply doesn't work that way. I believe my reasoning is impeccable, but feel free to peck away.


* niggardly, adj. - cheap; reluctant to give or spend. Please don't remove me from the mayor's office for using that word.**

** I am not in the mayor's office.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Dale, when the shirt was discounted $2, it was clearly a "sign" that you should buy it. I think the shin splints are a sign of something else, I'm just not sure what. End of peck.