Monday, May 5, 2008

Nature's Mysterious Black Box

Have you ever really looked at an egg? They're a marvel of engineering. What if I told you there is a machine that can take simple inputs (table scraps, water, sunlight, time) and produce an egg in all its elegance? And I mean a bona fide egg, the very same kind sold by grocers around the world, not an approximation of an egg that looks as though it was mashed together from table scraps. (That's how my eggs always look when I try to make them with the same inputs. They would fool no one.)

The amazing creature shown here, the chicken, although purposely bred for stupidity and helplessness, can do it without any training, conditioning, or verbal instruction. It doesn't even have a culture from which to draw, or certainly not one that would recognizably assist it with egg-making -- chicken culture, such as it is, centers on pecking, squawking, milling around, roosting, and, here and there, brute territorialism.

On top of all that, I am told its flesh tastes much like the flesh of rabbits, rattlesnakes, and pheasants. I say this creature has a bright future!

The ways of the Intelligent Designer are indeed mysterious.

5 comments:

Aimee Brons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dale said...

Aimee, I appreciate that! I have long believed that chickens are the key to so much. T-Rex should be flattered to be an overgrown chicken.

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

You know of course that the domestic chicken's Linnean name is Gallus gallus domestica.

I find this humorous for reasons which can possibly not be put into words.

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

What a wonderful blog! I"ve spent some time reading, and I so appreciate your blog!

Dale said...

SJKP and all, I admit it. Chickens crack me up. I have had to work hard to avoid letting chickens and chicken-driven metaphors (the sloppier the better) take over this blog -- some days are easier than others.

Today will not be easy.

Godspeed, little blog.

Dr. Joanne, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.