Sunday, June 15, 2008

Odd Flyovers

As I was running the Helvetia Half yesterday, a B-17 flew over. I know! I was at least as aghast and surprised and skeptical as you are! But it happened.

It looked a lot like the one pictured here, although I was seeing it from below rather than from above; I was somewhere around mile 10 when I saw it, so I could not rule out hallucination as the source of the vision, but I know my WWII-era aircraft and trust that hallucinations, should I have them, will produce something better than this.

The B-17 I saw must have been the one referenced in this news story, which also states the plane is only one of a dozen of its kind that still flies.

It was quite a thing to see, but the sound was more noticeable. A fleet of these in formation must have made a truly horrifying din, all the more, of course, if you were one of the Germans foreseeably on the receiving end of the bombs it was flying over to deliver.

No comments: