Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Points Pedantic & Political

Sigh. A blogger has certain responsibilities, even if pursuing them marks him as a preachy, captious, sniveling Category Five asshole:

  • Do the people who refer to McDonald's as "Mickey D's" realize they are an embarrassment to our entire species? I am convinced that every time an adult human being says "Mickey D's" out loud -- an instance of which I just experienced on a very public stretch of sidewalk, and no it was not an ironic usage -- it silently but ineluctably deducts points in our favor racked up by the likes of Aristotle, Da Vinci, Shakespeare, and Darwin. Refer to the fast-food chain if you must, but please don't give it nicknames.
  • Would people kindly stop using "swathe" when they mean to use "swath"? I won't name the prominent bloggers who have been doing this of late -- I respect them more than that. And by all means don't take my word for it, but check the dictionary yourself: here's swath and here's swathe.
  • Now that I've warmed your hearts with my imperious cavils, I request that you add your name to the ACLU's petition against immunity for law-breaking telecommunications companies. Glennzilla has an excellent write-up of the relevant issues, the current happenings, and why it matters.
Thanks all.

2 comments:

Domestically Challenged said...

HEY! Yeah. That was my family you passed on the sidewalk!... We lovingly call it Mickey D's. (hangs head in shame)

Today at the Zoo, DH was trying to hurry us through the NW Exhibit on our way out. The kiddo was whining about who knows what and wanting to eat a hot dog. Hubs starts booming in his really loud teacher's voice that if we can keep it together a bit longer we will go to McDonald's. He says this, like, 15 times on our climb up the exhibit! I was dying of shame! It's our dirty little family secret, no one else needs know! We love crap food and even allow our kids to partake of it. I swore I was never going to do that to them!

Dale said...

Oh gosh, DC. If I had a dime for every time my son has talked me into McDonald's, I'd have ... quite a bit of money.

I don't eat there (you know, meat and all), although the coffee is OK. And once in a while I like their pies. They also do OK with Diet Coke. ;-)