Friday, June 13, 2008

Question for Competent Speakers of German

Nietzsche - is it best pronounced "NEE-chuh" or "NEE-CHEE"? Or is there a split even in the German-speaking world, such that both pronunciations are right and both wrong?

I have been lobbying, cajoling, badgering on behalf of "NEE-chuh" for many years, although the audience of people who give a damn either way is small. Have I been wrong?

Bonus points if you can assist with Porsche -- "POR-shuh" or "PORSH"? I say "POR-shuh."

Danke.

4 comments:

Domestically Challenged said...

The German pronunciation is "Nee-chuh" and "POR-shuh". However, the correct American English accent is "NEE-CHEE" and "PORSH".

Techniquely both are correct if said in their respective languages. Wenn Sie ein elitärer darüber sein müssen... (wink)

Dale said...

Thanks, DC!

Aimee Brons said...

I've always been a flip-flopper with "Nee-Chuh" and "Nee-Chee". Thank you for this post Dale and for the clarification DC. I have been set straight!

Martin R. said...

If you look at one of the early manuscripts of George and Ira Gershwin's "Let's call the whole thing off", you will find that it ends with the following, now deleted, verse. It was apparently deleted for failing to scan and being too autobiographical:

You say Nee-Chee and I say Nee-chuh,
You say Porsh and I say Por-shuh,
Nee-Chee, Nee-chuh; Porsh, Por-shuh,
Let's call the whole thing off.
Oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part and
Oh, if we ever part
That would put an end to this continually bickering.
I'm right. Just live with it, Ira!

I tend to agree with Dale and George, in this respect.