Monday, July 14, 2008

Like Comparing Peaches and Nectarines

I did not know this about nectarines until I bothered to look it up:

Though fuzzy peaches and nectarines are commercially regarded as different fruits ... they belong to the same species as peaches. Several genetic studies have concluded in fact that nectarines are created due to a recessive gene, whereas a fuzzy peach skin is dominant. Nectarines have arisen many times from peach trees, often as bud sports.
This planet of ours offers few things better than the nectarine/peach. Mother Earth really hit it out of the park with that creation (I could probably mix this metaphor some more, but why?).

Still, the news isn't all good. The list of fruits seems to be getting shorter with each passing day. Cavendish Bananas are under threat of commercial inviability if not outright extinction -- somebody shoot me now -- and I recently learned that marionberries are just a breed of blackberry.

What next? Will apples and oranges turn out to be the same thing? What would we do without the "comparing apples and oranges" idiom?

I believe I spoke too soon. I need to stop looking things up.

1 comment:

Mike said...

On a more optimistic note, Anthony Bourdain recently did a show about Columbia, where in addition to speaking quite highly of how things have improved there, he saw a number of fruits previously unknown to him, a professional chef. So there may be more out there.