Monday, July 28, 2008

Not Cuil


Cuil is the new search engine that seeks to push google into so last year status, but it's off to a feckless start. The annoyances:

  • As it stands right now, every search returns an error screen saying "due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity." Um, don't be too quick to spend the money on that new capacity.
  • Earlier today, it was returning results, but uselessly. There was no apparent logic to the order in which the results were presented (nor any evidence that I could change it), and far worse, search results were presented across several pages, with each page showing fewer than ten results. In lieu of more numerous results per page, it gave thumbnail images of the screens on which the search hits reside. I don't want that. Does someone want that? If I am searching for images, I might want that. But I'm not necessarily searching for images, and in fact, most of the time I am not searching for images.
  • The very name, cuil, invites a dispute over pronunciation. I am invited to be among the Nerdy Elect who pronounce the name of the new search engine properly, and thereby to distinguish myself from the wretched masses who get it wrong. No thanks. I don't want to be involved in another tedious instance of status-whoring.
I like its color scheme.

(H/T Portland Mercury)

No comments: