Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Oklahoma City Thunder: Surprisingly Undisappointing

I was dreading the name that would be affixed to the erstwhile Seattle Supersonics after their removal to the flat, plainsy, oily climes of Oklahoma City: Sooners? Cattlemen? Cowboys? Derricks? Oilspills? Slicks? Plainsmen? Wildcats? Drunk Drivers? Not that I devoted much mental exertion to it, but I fully expected the chosen name to suck. It is Oklahoma, after all, the state in which Ponca City is located.

Well, I'm pleased to say it doesn't suck. It's the Oklahoma City Thunder. I know what I hate, and I don't hate that.

I also greatly appreciate the absence of teal in the team colors. There was a time when sports fans were right to wonder if any of the US-based professional sports leagues would ever dare to permit a team to change or add a non-teal team color. Thanks for noticing that we're completely and utterly tealed out, NBA-under-David-Stern. It will henceforth be an exaggeration to say you did everything possible wrong every step of the way.

Sadly, the Oklahoma City Thunder will be terrible. It will only be a matter of time until they beg and cajole and blackmail the city of Oklahoma City out of an even larger welfare check than the one that Seattle rightly refused them.

No comments: