Friday, September 26, 2008

Portland Marathon 2008: Suffering the Nature of an Insurrection

Somewhere in the course of putting my wisdom on running the St. John's Bridge into words, I remembered that our car has a 26.2 bumper sticker on it (in addition to a lot of mud), and that choices must be made. It was something like this, from Julius Caesar:

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the mortal instruments
Are then in council; and the state of man,
Like to a little kingdom, suffers then
The nature of an insurrection.
Yes, a lot like that.

If I don't run the Portland Marathon this year, I mused, wouldn't I have to pry that sticker off the car? Surely we vet our bumper stickers more conscientiously than some vet mortgage borrowers or vice presidential candidates. Surely.

Facing the tiring Scylla of removing that bumper sticker or the taxing Charybdis of running 26.2 miles Sunday after next, I opted for the one that doesn't require tools.

Am I ready to run a marathon? As in, have I been putting in those 16-20 mile training runs at least once a week? Am I in mid-taper? No. But being physically ready and having thought things through is so elitist.

No comments: