Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something More on Small Towns

From time to time I've been known to use small towns as a stand-in for the insularity, ambitionlessness, anti-intellectualism, and assorted other ugliness of America and Americans. It's little more than a cartoon, one I like to doodle now and then. As a cartoon, it tends to be a caricature.

So yes, I am guilty of deploying The Small Town as an archetype whose terms distort the apposite realities. But here's the thing: I am not running for president or vice president.

It goes beyond the fact that I not running for high office on the basis of some or other symbolic meaning I've half-assedly attached to small towns. Now is as good a time as any to point this out: if any of you six is following this precious, precious blog on grounds that it provides a definitive, nuanced, thoroughgoing exposition of The Truth About Small Towns in America, you have been mistaken to do so. Here and now I apologize for having created the contrary impression.

None of which is to say I will stop making fun of Ponca City, Klamath Falls (or its flora), Moclips, Elma, or the like. I will continue to insist on my doodles.

1 comment:

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

Well, it might be a little too convenient but it's not entirely unjustified.

If it weren't true, I'd still be living in Silverton, Oregon ... the town in which is was gebornt.

However, today, they have The Oregon Garden and the owner of the Palace Theater (hopelessly mired in the past at only one screen ... the horror!) is a transgendered person who's also a city councilor.

If Silverton were that cool when I was growing up, I would never have left!