Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Authentic Maverick Gives Investment Advice

I've previously noted the dubiousness of labeling oneself a maverick, but one sure way to make yourself one is to buy a sports franchise already called the Dallas Mavericks. Thus did Mark Cuban become an authentic maverick, and being an internet gazillionaire, it's no surprise he has a blog.

I'm not prepared to vouch for the blog as a whole, but I will say that his recent post "where to put your money right now" makes a great deal of sense. It's well worth a read, but here's a very brief executive summary: do what's necessary to pay off your credit cards, then cut them up and cancel them. Thereafter, use the junk mail solicitations for new credit cards as a free source of heating fuel.

Yes. Do that. I know, I know -- easier said than done. But it strikes me as the kind of very sound advice that we don't hear often enough.

(via Ian)

No comments: