Friday, October 10, 2008

Partial Amends and The Wild Kindness

Face it, the state of Connecticut owed us a big one. While it doesn't quite cancel out the horror that is Joe Lieberman, this is a great step in the right direction:

"Interpreting our state constitutional provisions in accordance with firmly established equal protection principles leads inevitably to the conclusion that gay persons are entitled to marry the otherwise qualified same sex partner of their choice," the ruling [by Connecticut's highest court] said.
If Christianist and Islamist folklore is to be believed, everyone married to an opposite-sex partner has suffered a diminishment of the meaning of that union. I must have missed it. For those who felt it, what was it like? Did it manifest as an ache in the head, groin, or tummy? Perhaps a tightening in the chest? Short-term memory loss? Nosebleeds? Flatulence?

I can report that today I have no taste for any music except the music of Silver Jews. Is that related? I am tempted to think not, as I've had Silver Jews days before, and legalized gay marriage is still quite rare.

Here's a live performance of "The Wild Kindness" by Silver Jews.



I much prefer the studio version of the song, which is the audio for this rather odd video of a woman's bellydancing midsection. I like women's midsections as much as the next guy, but bellydancing doesn't do much for me. Could this be an insidious effect of gay marriage?

(Via Yglesias)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can run but you can't hide!

The only crime that has happen is in Congress by two leading Democrats!

We need to immediately to have the expellsion of Senator Chris Dodd (Senate Banking Committee) and Representative Barney Frank (Chairman of the Financial Services Committee). They are crooks, they have lied, cheated, stole all of our money, and taken us Americans for a ride.

Expellsion from Congress immediately ! ! !

Dale said...

Hey anon., I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, but being something of an aficionado, I know incoherence when I see it! It's an underappreciated art. Well done!

As to Dodd and Frank, they're decent reps as far as I know. They have their foibles, but they seem OK to me.

Is "expellsion" really a word? Really really?