Sunday, October 5, 2008

Portland Marathon 2008: The Varieties of PR

It was not a personal best in terms of finish time, but today was a personal best in terms of enjoyment. I managed to stay within a pace I could handle the entire way, didn't let myself be sucked into any petty competitive pressures, and just took in the experience as much as possible. Best of all I didn't suffer any cramps, didn't trip or get tripped, and I crossed the finish line at 3:32:49, for a pace of 8:07 minutes/mile (click to enlarge results graphic above).

Not to brag, but I'll brag about one thing: my cumulative pace as of 21.1 miles was 8:13, but I pared the overall pace down to 8:07 by the end. I was up for a strong finish.

We saw plenty of showers out there, so the forecasts were wrong, as they usually are around here. But I love running in the rain so that's not a complaint.

Thanks weather! Thanks volunteers! Thanks organizers! Thanks to all the fine people who came out in the rain to cheer us on! If I could hug a marathon experience, I'd hug this one.

Still, I will be lying down for a while now.

Note: PR = "Personal Record," not "Public Relations."

2 comments:

Domestically Challenged said...

Yay, Dale!!!! Congrats on a fantastic run!

Completely OT, but... I find it hilarious that the Ads by Google listed directly under your title bar are as follows (at this moment): Christian Savior, Bible Children, Christian Discussion, Christian Women, Evangelical.

Dale said...

Thanks DC!

The ads are rather ridiculous most of the time.