Thursday, October 30, 2008

Unlikely Hope

Andrew Sullivan's take on the 'Yes We Can' video:

The video that changed an election campaign. It's a video that still affects me. Mock it all you want. Mock me all you want. There is a reason this ad resonated. It has to do with eight long years of shame and drift and failure. It's a statement that Bush and Cheney are not who we are. They are not the America that has existed and will one day be regained. The stain of these dark years - years of torture and intolerance and fear and raw power - can be erased.



I have little to add to Sullivan's remarks beyond pointing out that I still have no idea who most of these people making cameo appearances are (full list here). I recognize Obama, of course; and I recognize Scarlet Johansson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and John Legend. The guy in the pork pie hat, Will.i.am, is supposedly famous, but his appearance on the Bill Maher show a few weeks back was, to put it politely, listless.

My snarks aside, yes we can. In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

Please vote!

No comments: