Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Better Angels of Our Nature

And so it happened that in the space of a single evening -- the evening of my birthday, as a matter of fact -- my country abruptly swerved back into view. Maybe that sounds crass because maybe it places too much stress on politics, but it's such a relief to feel that a solid majority of my compatriots are looking at the same reality as I am, a feeling that has been all too lacking in recent years.

There is surely struggle and strife to come; and the problems we faced this morning will be just as daunting tomorrow morning; and Barack Obama is not a deity or a savior or the perfect embodiment of anything, but -- but -- this is a remarkable affirmation and a beautiful overcoming.

And look at that map -- neither a red state nor a blue state to be seen.

I wish my mom had lived to see this. We can pick up and move forward -- yes we can!

7 comments:

Aimée said...

I'm so happy for you, for your countrymen/women, and for the entire world. Could you ask for a better birthday present? Congrats!

Domestically Challenged said...

Happy Birthday, Dale! I hope it is a fantastic year for you =o). So far so good, I'd say!

Martin R. said...

Happy birthday, Dale.

Laura said...

A very Happy Birthday to you Dale! There's lots to celebrate!

Dale said...

Thanks all! This really was the one and only thing I wanted for my birthday, as weird and out of place as that may sound. I'm still blinking and rubbing my eyes as I read the news accounts.

Mike said...

So that's all you wanted for your birthday? I was thinking of getting you a life-size Jeri Ryan doll.

Dale said...

Mike, don't be too hasty to cancel any orders you've already placed. ;-)