Tuesday, November 4, 2008

In Which I Flunk Civics

Fellow Puddle-town blogger and meat-world neighbor Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis (SJKP), owner-proprietor of the Zehnkatzen Times blog, has shamed me into the very late recognition that Jeff Merkley -- Democratic candidate for US Senate, current Speaker of the Oregon House of Representatives, nemesis of Senator Gordon "I support Wide Stance policies except at election time whereupon I start portraying myself as a progressive" Smith, star and goat of a thousand competing advertisements that shall forgivingly end some time today -- is my state representative.

Jeff Merkley represents and lives in Oregon house district 47, where I live and where SJKP lives. We're all neighbors! We step in the same piles of coiled dog poo! We have come to recognize the same "good streets" and "not so good streets" for trick-or-treating! As SJKP points out, we live in an area that Willamette Week inexplicably considers to be Gresham (if not Idaho). And so on.

Um, I didn't realize that. D'oh. I should have known that. I should be able to name my elected representatives, right? Isn't that the kind of absent-mindedness I ridicule in others? Yes. Yes it is.

That's not to say I didn't vote for Jeff Merkley when he ran for the house seat. I am quite sure I did. I am quite sure because I always vote for the Democrat unless I know there's something horribly, horribly wrong with the Democrat, in which case I vote for nobody or a third party candidate. I am open to the possibility that a Republican candidate will merit my vote, in much the way that I am open to the possibility that I will awake one morning to find my bed encircled by fairies, sprites, leprechauns, and cartoon bluebirds joined in song.

And I voted for Jeff Merkley for US Senate in today's election. That I know.

No comments: