Friday, December 19, 2008

Maturity - Showing Versus Telling

In an interview with Ann Curry, Rick Warren reveals that he considers homosexuality to be a problem best solved by discipline and maturity:

CURRY: If science finds that this is biological, indisputably…would you change your position?

WARREN: No. … We all have biological predispositions. … You say because I have natural impulses to the same sex, I shouldn’t have to reign them in. Well I disagree. I think that’s part of maturity, I think that’s part of delayed gratification, I think that’s part of character.
This strikes me as a very easy thing to preach to others. Will Rick Warren demonstrate these virtues by staying wholly sexually abstinent for, say, the rest of his life, starting today? I suppose it would be parallel for him to agree to abstain from sex involving women for the rest of his days. He can still screw cantaloupes* or whatever.

The Catholic clergy famously tries this sort of thing (abstinence, not cantaloupe-screwing), with what I take to be predictable consequences.

Actually, I am completely indifferent as to the future course of Rick Warren's sex life, so long as he restricts his interactions to other consenting adults. I would be quite content never to think of his sex life again, in fact. But as he upholds a different standard, one based in the idiotic prejudices of his favorite god, and one that trades in specific notions of "maturity," "delayed gratification," and the "reigning in" of impulses, he should put those notions into practice or, better yet, shut the fuck up. Shutting the fuck up about these matters has been an option for him from the start, incidentally.


* My apologies to cantaloupes and the people who grow and harvest them, who did nothing to deserve being dragged into this.

No comments: