Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reader Lament

Sigh. Google Reader has been refurbished and, I am sad to say, not for the better. I have not found a single change that I consider an improvement:

  • It's slower. I can accept slightly slower if it comes with better, but there's no better here.
  • It's even harsher on the eyeballs -- please Mr. Google, permit skins or, better yet, permit open-ended color customization so that we don't have to look at black text on plain white backgrounds so much. You've redone the look of the tool without doing that?
  • There is no longer a refresh button. There is a "refresh" button to refresh the feed you're reading now, but not the entire Google Reader interface. Now you need to remember to click on "subscriptions" to achieve a refresh or re-index of the whole interface. This is needlessly confusing -- the persistence of "refresh" as a functional concept is retained, but not the button.
  • Shittiest of all by a wide mark, it's not registering items as read smoothly or consistently. In my settings, I have a checkmark beside "In expanded view, mark items as read when you scroll past them" and yet I am finding items in the unread queue long after I know I've not only scrolled past them but read them. Dammit.
And yes, I have confirmed all of these flaws on multiple browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE) and on multiple PCs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But it DOES add themes.

Dale said...

Uh, link?

Gmail (google mail) has added some themes, but not reader. Not as far as I can see.

I see a third party that has made a theme for reader, but that looks clunky. And it's just one theme.

blackpearl said...

Where did "Mark all as read" go? Sometimes I am away from my reader for a number of hours and some subscriptions are just not interesting enough to want to read old posts, but I still have to scroll past every post to clear it.

Dale said...

blackpearl, good question. I think you mean the global "mark all as read", rather than the "mark all as read" for the particular feed you're on, which seems to have survived The Changes.

I don't use the global version of "mark all as read" so I don't miss it, but I definitely see your point.

Why take it away? Why, Mr. Google?

blackpearl said...

No, actually I did mean the "mark all as read" for the particular feed I'm on. Am I blind or something?