Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blog Design 101 - Big Face

I don't claim any mastery of blog layout aesthetics, but I know what disturbs me, and this disturbs me: I bounce over to Will Wilkinson's thought-provoking, albeit often disagreeable blog to find his face in my face. As I read, he watches over me expectantly; the impatience of his gaze, underscored by the all-business loosened knot of his tie, cannot be shaken; I experience whiffs of phantom halitosis; I can't help but worry that at any instant he'll exhale too forcefully and expel a nose hair onto my keyboard.

Mind you this screen shot (taken with the excellent Lightscreen utility) is a scaled-down version of the visual presentation as actually experienced.

It's worth remembering that many of us read blogs precisely to avoid interaction with actual human beings, with their piercing stares and unpredictable nose hairs and other unpleasant animal manifestations.

1 comment:

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

You know that icon/logo/avatar I use, with the yellow star in the blue diamond?

I actually look like that.

That's why I don't go out in public so much.

I have a friend who resembles a Blogger captcha too. We don't talk much about him tho.