Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Digital Rights (Formerly Wrongs)

At last, Apple is separating its song vending from the horrors of digital rights management (DRM):

Users of iTunes can now upgrade their music libraries with a click of a button. For an additional 30 cents per song, a user can receive a DRM-free version of their existing tracks at a 256-kbps bit rate.

Starting Tuesday, Apple will offer 8 million DRM-free songs and will add another 2 million by April. The hold-up for the remaining songs is due to licensing issues, according to my sources.
I am happy to say I have only a handful of songs in the dreaded Apple M4P format, and not all of those are worth converting, so I expect to need to spend less than $5 to break free.

I still find it ridiculous that Windows Media Player doesn't handle podcasts. I picture a brave new world in which iTunes supports non-Apple MP3 players, but alas, picturing it will not bring it about.

Perhaps ... MediaMonkey?

1 comment:

Michal said...

Hi, I found some other informations about M4P at file-extensions.org. Nice day.