Thursday, January 22, 2009

One Standard, Whether Hard or Easy

Today, as he signed the executive order requiring all agents of the US government to follow the Army Field Manual in interrogations, President Obama gave a brief statement. I think this statement and I need to get a room:

This is me following through on not just a commitment I made during the campaign, but I think an understanding that dates back to our Founding Fathers, that we are willing to observe core standards of conduct, not just when it's easy, but also when it's hard.
The USA went with a written constitution on the theory that it binds the powerful to a definite standard despite vicissitudes in opinion, perceptions of expediency, or variations of fashion. If we are being what we aspire to be in our best moments, we follow written rules here in the USA whether it is hard or easy to do so.

I would like to thank whatever gods are watching that we have a president who recognizes this elementary truth, and since most of the gods seem preoccupied with sexual behavior, I would like to apologize for wanting to have sex with a soundbite. I'm pretty sure that's a stoneable offense in most of the leading holy books.

Amen.

No comments: