Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cosmetics & Miscellany

  • I changed the header of this precious, precious blog, removing the quote from Auden's "Ode to Terminus" although I love the poem as much as ever. I'm not sure I love the replacement, "whatever is, is right -- with exceptions noted herein" but I'm even less sure it matters.
  • I find it interesting that Sarah and Bristol Palin can so candidly say what everyone knows to be true -- that teenagers who get pregnant are not (or not only) receiving 'a gift' but wrecking the course of their lives. I seem to recall not so long ago that a prominent politician stated the same obvious truth only to be pilloried for it; evidently that pandemic of The Vapors, heart-rending as it was, produced the resistence for the present infection from the Palins' hurtful, hurtful utterances?
  • Reassurance fail:
    Facebook spelled out, in plain English rather than the legalese that prompted the protests, that it "doesn't claim rights to any of your photos or other content. We need a license in order to help you share information with your friends, but we don't claim to own your information."
    Yay?
  • I sincerely hope Inglorious Basterds turns out to be parody -- intentional parody:

No comments: