Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creative Commons: If a thing isn't worth saying, you sing it.

Notwithstanding my paltry to middling to nonexistent graphics manipulations talents, I am very well pleased at how this turned out. And I didn't even cheat any of the randoms! I swear it!

What thing, you ask? Why, it's my very own band name & album cover from Creative Commons.

The instructions (source):

1 – Go to Wikipedia. Hit “random” or click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

2 – Go to Quotations Page and select “random quotations” or click http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four or five words of the very last quote on the page is the title of your first album.

3 – ... Grab the photo randomly generated from Creative Commons licensed photos on Flickr here: http://mikelietz.org/code/flickr-ccgettr.php

4 – Use Photoshop the free Paint.Net or Gimp or similar to put it all together.

5 – Post it to FB with this text in the “caption” or “comment” and TAG the friends you want to join in.
In what I consider the true spirit of Creative Commons (and from a general aversion to tag-driven memes), I am not tagging anyone, and I may or may not post this to Facebook. If you find this interesting and worth continuing forward, please consider yourself tagged and carry on.

My sources:

Random Wikipedia article (band name): "Magra Islet"

Random quote (album title): "If a thing isn't worth saying, you sing it." - Pierre Beaumarchais. I used the entire quote; it's just too apt.

Random photo (album cover art): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3291367251_df2723fbfa.jpg?v=0. I don't know exactly where this is from, but I know I like it, and all due credit to the person who created it and made it available.

I used paint.net to put it all together; I am a long-time admirer of paint.net.

Update: Brian called my attention to a Best Week Ever compilation of the best fake album covers made in this fashion. One of them -- #100 as it happens -- chanced upon the same cover art. I really like some of these; many are extremely convincing as things you might see in a record store.

3 comments:

larryniven said...

This is a great idea, but I guess I'm not suited for this cause I can't do anything with mine. If any of my friends can come up with anything neat, I'll try to link you, just for fun.

Brian Moon said...

Did you know that Best Week Ever selected your album cover as one of their top 100 fake album covers? Congratulations!

Dale said...

Wellllll, close. They grabbed the same random image as the cover art. Personally, I like the band name and the title that my li'l bout of randomness churned up, but hey, it is a great image for an album cover.

So many of those are so. dang. good. I appreciate the link!

And I don't say "dang" very often.