Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Giraffes: A Wake-Up Call

"They don't show you this on the TV" the video announces, and yet I knew male giraffes fight this way. So where did I pick that up if not from watching hours and hours of wildlife documentaries on TV? I have never been to Africa, and I think they're pretty careful about keeping bull giraffes separate at the zoo, so I know I haven't seen it in person. Did I learn it from a movie? Maybe a forgotten but subliminally absorbed scene from one of the newer Star Wars films?

I don't think so. I think they do show this on TV, which means this youtube video contains an untruth. That a youtube video should convey an untruth! This rivets all my trust in the world!

I will go this far: giraffe fight videos should be more widely circulated and better known. We need to face up to the grim realities of giraffes and stop lying to ourselves about them. We must inure ourselves to the realities of giraffes lest we find ourselves shocked on safari, and lest another generation fall prey to the cozy shibboleths of "the gentle giraffe:" splayed at a watering hole awkwardly drinking; walking placidly across the savannah with adorable juvenile struggling to keep up; gracefully plucking leaves from the higher branches.

Wake up, people! Look at how giraffes really are! Watch it as many times as necessary until you fucking get it!!

3 comments:

Ian McCullough said...

If you read Un Lun Dun by China Mieville, you will find that giraffes are in fact bloody thirsty killers who send their hippy types to our world. He even has drawings of murderous giraffes in their native state.

It's a fantastic YA title.

Domestically Challenged said...

Shit! I had no idea!

moll said...

always thought their eyes were too close together