Thursday, February 5, 2009

Miscellany

I have stuff to do so I am resorting to the tried-and-true list of items that I otherwise might have blogged upon:

  • "Does the empirical nature of science contradict the revelatory nature of faith?" - A discussion tipped off by Jerry Coyne's recent book review in The New Republic. This features contributions by Sam Harris, PZ Myers, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Stephen Pinker, Lawrence Krauss, and others.
  • Remains of a frighteningly titanic snake discovered! It could have eaten full-grown crocodiles and, if there had been any around, full-grown horses.
  • You still have to watch for fugitive nose-hairs flying out of the all-too-intimate facial portrait that greets you at his blog, but Will Wilkinson has posted some funny and cringe-worthy Roosevelt-era propaganda films on recovery economics. Sadly, this comes along with Wilkinson's cranky hand-wringing over the fact that human expectations play a role in economics.
  • In personal news, my USB mouse follows only its own whimsy on whether to function or not. As I type this, the little arrow pointer is parked down in the lower-left quadrant of the monitor and refuses to move from there. Good times!

4 comments:

larryniven said...

Look at it this way: now you have the opportunity to learn how to use your computer the way they were meant to be used, with a keyboard only. Tab around fields, alt+tab between windows, command+e to get a new file explorer window (you are on a PC, right?), command+m to get to your desktop, and so on and so forth. The only real downside is you won't be able to play Starcraft. You will, however, still be able to play Pong!

Dale said...

LN, true. I am very keyboard-y as it is, and would prefer to skip the mouse altogether. But some interfaces -- like, say, blogger -- aren't very keyboard-friendly, so it's a slow crawl at times.

larryniven said...

That's a good point, actually - I have yet to figure out how to toggle reliably between the tags, the body of the post, and the title. On the other hand, I use a plain ol' wired mouse, so I've never had to. Maybe send them an email and complain?

Dale said...

LN, you reminded me of the existence of a firefox add-in called "mouseless browsing." I tried it a while back and found it lacking -- some hyperlinks seemed to get overlooked. I've added it in again and based on fully 12 or 13 seconds of research, it looks a little improved. I'll continue playing with it and it sounds like something you might like too.

This comment entered with the magic of mouseless browsing. (Mostly.)