Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Music to Harm Yourself To

Out running today, it occurred to me that the body of weather-related excuses I had cultivated over these last two months -- "It's too cold! Of course I can't run fast enough / far enough!" -- had been nullified by the sudden arrival of Spring-like warmth that was not matched by a fast enough / far enough running performance. Out of what little self-respect remained, I declined to retreat into the excuse that it is suddenly too hot for proper running. It's only 55 Fahrenheit, after all, and while that feels hot after two solid months of much colder, it's not hot. I know hot, and 55 is not.

So ran my thoughts until the MP3 player's shuffle threw forth a song from a thousand years and a few lifetimes ago, from an album I had added to the player on a lark and subsequently forgotten: "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the 1995 double album by Smashing Pumpkins.

The song is as angry and nihilistic as its title suggests, and it turns out to be effective for inspiring a good couple of miles of over-exertion to do lasting cartilage damage shake out a winter's worth of self-pity.



Happy running!

3 comments:

Sis B said...

My first year in college I brought my Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness poster . When I walked into my room, my roommate was listening to the Spice Girls.

It was a difficult year.

Dale said...

Sis B, good times!

Domestically Challenged said...

Ah, Dale. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Good times indeed. Sometimes I wish I were still in college ;o)when life was that easy (wish I'd understood that at the time, of course) and music this profound...