Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Silver Jews, Past Tense

I'm a few weeks late to this news but it's worth passing along:

After twenty years and a half dozen albums (including last year's excellent Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea) David Berman is apparently hanging up the Silver Jews moniker to focus on other projects. In a post on the SJ forum tonight titled "Silver Jews End-Lead Singer Bids His Well-Wishers Adieu" he announced: "I guess I am moving over to another category. Screenwriting or Muckraking. I've got to move on. Can't be like all the careerists doncha know." Even more surprising is the follow-up missive that begins, "Now that the Joos are over I can tell you my gravest secret. Worse than suicide, worse than crack addiction." That one's called "My Father, My Attack Dog."
I am sad to see the Silver Jews vanish as a music-making entity, but I admire and respect David Berman's reasons for making the change. In any case, retirements in music have even less staying power than retirements in boxing, so there's no solid basis for saying we shall never see another Silver Jews album.

Daily Kos has a write-up of this situation which includes more background on the "attack dog" father of David Berman, Rick Berman, who does indeed appear to be a world-class asshole.

No comments: