Tuesday, April 7, 2009

OVENSONG DOUGHNUTS CUSTOM MADE BY TOP POT

Sometimes you encounter a turn of phrase, such as this one I reproduce verbatim, "OVENSONG DOUGHNUTS CUSTOM MADE BY TOP POT," and it fails to stick. All the words are recognizable as common English words -- oven, song, dough, nut, custom, made, by, top, pot -- but the sequence just doesn't add up to anything.

Only the context, a placard at Seattle's Best (not to be mistaken for Portland's best or even, truly, Seattle's best), helped to wring any semblance of sense out of it. Examined more closely, the complete phrase was

Now serving OVENSONG DOUGHNUTS CUSTOM MADE BY TOP POT
... and a photograph of a doughnut accompanied it.

To summarize, Top Pot -- a forger of doughnuts of some renown, I gather -- is now customizing doughnuts and selling them at Seattle's Best franchises under the in-store "Ovensong" label. But of course, the real takeaway of this priceless blog post is
OVENSONG DOUGHNUTS CUSTOM MADE BY TOP POT

1 comment:

twoblueday said...

I looked up toppotdougnuts.com and learned that it is a company that makes doughnuts, and sells them.

What I don't get is the "hand forged" part. Forged? They make them by a forging process? I doubt it.

I guess they are seeking to emulate the image-making style-over-substance success of Starbucks: Sell something cheap and easy to make at a high price because there are idiots who will pay.

Hey, I drink a cup of coffee in the AM, and, rarely, eat a doughnut, but doing it on the cheap doesn't make me feel unhip.