Saturday, April 4, 2009

Stereolab and "The Dinosaur Law"

Stereolab's news feed has sad news for those of us who have taken to measuring the passage of time with Stereolab releases:

As we recently made #51 with Emperor Tomato Ketchup in the Amazon 100 Greatest Indie Rock Albums of all Time we feel that our work is done for the moment ...
Duophonic are working on the release of Chemical Chords 2, we also have plans for a new Switched On and remastering of the back catalogue.
We are are all going to have a bit of a rest now after nearly 19 years and work on a few other projects.
The website will still be updated and disks released but there won't be any new Stereolab product for a while.
Sigh. All good things must come to an end, I gather. Interviewed after the release of Chemical Chords, lead singer Laetitia Sadier spoke of part 2 of the album:
I think there are two parts of the album. You’re hearing the 15 first songs which are upbeat and, as you said, no minor chords. And generally the vibe is up and positive. Which is good, I think. We need that. We need to put some positive vibes in the world. In this time, the world is hard, you know. There aren’t many positive vibes. But that’s the day side. And then the other album, which I don’t know if it will ever come out, hopefully around April, would be the dark side of the album. I’ll call it the nighttime. I mean, like in any record there’s a light and a dark side, so lyrically there are darker things that are being tackled, such as exploitation, and how we submit to those forces without really fighting them off, fighting them away.
I hope this Chemical Chords 2 comes to fruition. I love it before having heard the first chord.

Here are a couple of Stereolab songs to which I have not previously linked:

"Wow and Flutter" from which I cribbed "the dinosaur law":



"Vodiak":



This is truly sad. They were consistently brilliant over 19 years of song-making; I am perilously close to being a Stereolab completist (it's difficult to be sure) and I can honestly say that of their hundreds of songs and variations, only a handful have ever worn out their welcome. And rest assured I don't say that about every musical oevre out there -- far from it. Maybe that says more about me than about Stereolab, but I don't think so.

Thank you, Stereolab. If you have truly left, you have left the world a richer place for your work.

1 comment:

Moya said...

I totally agree. Listening to Oscillions now and it just saddens me to think this could be the end. I know Martin's message said Hiatus/Sabbatical etc. but the tenor of his comments don't really leave me much space for optimism.

I just hope I'm wrong. I thought it was over when I read about Mary's death, but they carried on then. I hope they refresh themselves and get back into the studio and onto the road. I can mark my life through Stereolab songs and hope that continues.