Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another Delusion Flushed Away

Prepare to read something else you'll wish you hadn't:

As the summer swim season starts Memorial Day weekend, water quality and health experts have a message for swimmers: Please don't pee in the pool.

Although urine in the water probably will not cause swimmers to go to the emergency room, it causes "more of a respiratory, ocular irritation: the red puffy eyes or a cough, an itchy throat," said Michele Hlavsa, an epidemiologist in the division of parasitic diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."A big health message is not to urinate or pee in the water."
Back in the days when I went swimming regularly, I frequently experienced ocular irritation, and not uncommonly, a cough or itchy throat. Before now, I had been led to believe this was a result of the chlorine in the pool, not a consequence of all the urine I had excreted into the water.

If this is right, I had pee eyes, not chlorine eyes.

No comments: