Sunday, May 3, 2009

For the Humans

The 36th edition of the Humanist Symposium is up at Bloc Raisonneur, and the floor is open to self-nominations for hosting future editions here.

On a further humanistic note, here is PZ Myers with a brief but compelling statement of why a non-believer would care about torture:

I certainly do have grounds to be outraged at the use of torture. Those are fellow human beings who are experiencing pain: I empathize with them, I see them as fellow members of the greater community of humanity, and I can rationally see that a society that allows torture is one in which I and my family are less safe.
Empathy is not supernatural, and requires nothing of the supernatural. Morality springs from the recognition -- a recognition that is nearly impossible to miss given routine human cognition and social experience -- that other people, no matter how remote they may be in habits, beliefs, appearance, or distance, are the same as we are.

No comments: