Saturday, May 2, 2009

Messing with Texas

I have trouble understanding why it should bother anyone if Texas were to secede from the United States. It has had 164 years to show that it had something positive to offer, and the most it has produced seems to be introducing human civilization to the idea of organizing festivals around the mass killing of rattlesnakes. Sooner or later, someone in Oklahoma would have come up with that idea, which reminds me: please, Texas, if you do leave the USA, make sure to take Oklahoma with you.

As it stands, talk of secession appears to be nothing more than Texas's other, more famous contribution: loose, garrulous talk delivered in a tedious drawl:

Just weeks after declaring that Texas might secede from the union because “the federal government has become oppressive,” Gov. Rick Perry (R) today asked for more federal aid when he “issued a disaster declaration” because of the swine flu. Mother Jones’ Jonathan Stein found that, since the beginning of FEMA’s record-keeping, Texas has actually received more federal assistance from FEMA than any other state.
No, we should not take seriously the secessionist talk in Texas, any more than we should take seriously the complaints of teenagers who want mom and dad to butt out but still pay for the car.

2 comments:

twoblueday said...

I don't think I've ever heard the residents of any state brag more about their state than Texans. I served in the military there for two years or so, and really felt the locals had created a particularly unattractive culture.

Their current governor is obviously a hypocrite of the first order, and a blowhard besides. He obviously has forgotten that it is illegal for a state to secede, and how horrid the "Civil" war was.

twoblueday said...

Oh, by the way, I don't recall, and am open to correction, that you've ever commented on my blog, and, for all I know you've never read it.

That being the case, and you are welcome to comment on my blog to correct me, this is my last visit to your blog.