Monday, July 27, 2009

Being Corn

We in the USA are, to a close first approximation, corn -- whether we want to be or not, whether we like corn or not, whether we consciously purchase or deliberately eat corn or not. That reality, the consequence of concrete political choices made over decades, is one fundamental takeaway of the 2007 documentary King Corn:



Life is short, and in my case, too short to accommodate the effort required to achieve a detailed understanding of the nature and origins of the bulk of the food I eat. I accept, albeit not enthusiastically, that I will read food packaging and find items I cannot hope to identify, let alone account for. I am not a nutritionist, nor a chemist, nor a farmer, etc.

I happen to like corn, but not so much that I want to be corn. Not wanting something doesn't change the truth.

No comments: