Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bleg and New Poll -- WWWD?

I have been ripped off by a local jeweler in the amount of $15, and I need to know: What Would [Whoever] Do? I seek your wise counsel, oh dear reader(s), and if you don't have any of that, I seek your snark and jeers.

The new poll is posted at the right. Here is a fuller explanation of the voting options:

  • Turn the Other Cheek - Let it go. Recognize that small businesses are struggling these days, and that they sometimes have to steal from customers to make ends meet. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there -- sometimes you're the over-caffeinated rottweiler, and sometimes you're the three-legged dachshund. Live and learn.
  • Blog It Out, Bro - Expose the details of the shenanigans in this precious, precious blog, thus bringing this jeweler's disgraceful actions to a potential worldwide audience / actual six-person audience.
  • Return Serve - Throw a brick through the store's display window; steal something of equal value; extract the $15 by way of a vocal tongue-lashing in the presence of other soon-to-be-ripped-off customers; pay some of Portland's filthiest sidewalk urchins to camp in front of the store for a couple of hours; sign the place up for as many magazine and newspaper subscriptions as I can find business reply cards for; some combination of the above.
  • Fester - Allow the experience to join the reserves of inner pain, adding its small weight to the sum of resentments that will eventually surface as, I don't know, a tedious blog or an unseemly wart or something.
Do vote, but don't hesitate to comment if you have more to add.

5 comments:

larryniven said...

Answers:

"Blog it out, bro" - because how can you not choose this? I expect a choreographed dance routine, btw, based on the "walk it out" dance.

"Return serve" - because it's a vital part of being a consumer to let other consumers know your experiences, especially the very good and the very bad. I dunno about the brick thing, but I think this goes hand-in-hand with the first response.

Domestically Challenged said...

Blog it, and get our lovely local newzies to do one of their "exposed" stories!

Paul said...

Can I change my vote to Return Serve but with a new suggestion: pay Portland's filthiest sidewalk urchins to chalk "street art" on the sidewalk in front of the store. Suggestions on what they write could be a follow up survey!

Slainthe,

Paul.

Anonymous said...

Did the jeweler a) actually rip you off (that was his intent) or b) make a mistake which you only percieved as ripping you off or c) point out that you're a category 5 a'hole?

What happened. Until I know that I'm not going Barack on you by saying I don't know the details but can somehow figure out that you got ripped off.

Dale said...

@anon - Fair question. I can tell you that I am as certain that this was a case of intentional ripping-off as a person can conceivably be -- greater degree of certainty would only be possible via mind-reading or confession.