Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dull Boy

Due to my recent injuries, the doctor has me on bed rest. I can get up to go to the bathroom, she generously allowed, but I am to remain in a reclining position as much as possible until August. Some people take to sitting or lying down for prolonged stretches of time, and would do more of both if only they could. I am not such a person. It does terrible things to me on every level -- mental, physical, whatever.

I can relate to this a little too well:



The dulling effect is the least of it. If Jack Nicholson's character had just sat there getting duller and duller, drooling on his keyboard and saying less and less about less and less, merely boring Shelley Duvall's character, it wouldn't have made for much of a horror film.

That's only the start. I shouldn't be watching the following clip, nor the film from which it is taken, and neither should you or anyone else -- Michael Haneke's The Seventh Continent:



Sure, I've tried the other approach -- I tuned in to some tee-vee coverage of the Tour de France and the Ironman Triathlon competitition only to find it far more depressing. Those people were out of their reclining chairs, running, swimming, cycling, and otherwise moving in the sunlight.

No, "mandatory sedentary" is not working for me. With respect, doctor, I am going to need some better, stronger, more interesting drugs if I am to make it another week.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, Dale, larryniven told me about your accident and I wanted to wish you a speedy and complete recovery. I miss seeing your comments on Rust Belt Philosophy!

Gorgeous cat, btw.

Dale said...

Laura, thanks for the kind words. I'm slowly crawling back to normal, or so I hope.