Thursday, July 2, 2009

God Almighty to J the P: "Like, No"

Have you been wondering what ever became of Joe the Achingly Stupid Plumber since his 15 minutes of fame as a spokesmodel for Salt-of-the-Earth Chiselers, Right Wing Populist Yankee Exceptionalist Short-Bussers, Dumbass Liars, and people who were kicked in the head by a donkey? Me neither.

Something of the answer is available anyway, and sadly, it almost certainly means he'll be running for public office since he now claims otherwise:

[I]n a new interview with WorldNetDaily, Wurzelbacher said that he now isn’t planning to run because God doesn’t want him to:

Asked if he has plans to run for public office, he replied, “I hope not. You know, I talked to God about that and he was like, ‘No.’”

He continued, “I believe he’s gotten me on this grassroots movement. If I can encourage leaders to step up, that’s what I would like to do. That’s a heavy role. That’s something I don’t know if I am prepared to do yet.”

But Wurzelbacher said he will keep that door open if God ever calls him to be that leader.

Doubtless this "like, no" spoken from god to Joe the Plumber, and the larger interaction of which it was a part, embodies what Karen Armstrong was trying to expatiate when she said:
Religion is about transformation; by ritual and ethical practice we become fundamentally different. Religion is not about preparing for the beatific vision in Heaven; it is also about living a fully human life in this world. By becoming one with these paradigmatic figures, losing our flawed, everyday selves in their perfection, we too can become perfect and inhabit an eternal dimension even in this world of pain and death.
Yes, that's definitely what Joe the Plumber meant. No, it's vice-versa. Maybe it depends.

If Joe the Achingly Stupid Plumber has successfully 'become one with' one of these paradigmatic figures or whatever, then I have even less use for these paradigmatic figures than I previously believed, because I already know how not to read anything and blame all my problems on taxes.

Maybe both Armstrong and Mr. The Plumber are pulling empty, baseless claims out of their rear ends. Maybe -- just maybe -- there's only so much to be learned from comparing what people pull out of their rear ends.

2 comments:

Brian Moon said...

Comparing Joe Wurzelwhatever's "spoke with God" moment to Karen Armstrong's courtier's reply is a brilliant takedown of each of them. I envy you your rhetorical skills.

Dale said...

Thanks Brian. When I see one end of this continuum ("God's my buddy!") I immediately think of the other end of it ("God is so complex and august that it takes decades of scholarly effort to get out even a single sentence about him.")