Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mt. Tabor Doggie Challenge 2009: More Idyll than Run

Today I ran the Mt. Tabor Doggie Challenge 8K in 35:39 (7:09 min/mi pace) and everything about it was so perfect and beautiful that it left me wondering why I ever spend any time anywhere other than Portland's Mt. Tabor Park.

Hours later, I don't have any answers. Why am I not there now? I don't know.

The dogs were well-behaved and adorable; the people -- young and old, male and female -- were preternaturally beautiful, as though transformed by the setting; the post-race food and drinks, though lacking adequate vegetarian substitutes, tasted better than it had any right to; the weather was nothing short of perfect; the band -- I hope someone can help me identify them -- played exactly the right kind of music (a hybrid of jazz, rock, electronica) at exactly the right sound level, and did so expertly.

I am pleased and slightly surprised at the time I made over this challenging, intensely hilly course -- it would be an exaggeration to say I didn't make a strong effort, but somehow it came easily. There's just something about this place.

I give my thanks to the organizers of this event and congratulate everyone who had the privilege to participate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there and have to agree with you. It was a great event. I was amazed at how well organized it was and how well behaved the dogs were. I'll do this again.