Wednesday, July 8, 2009

People with Easy Jobs: Sylvia Poggoli

Not that I know a damn thing about news reporting or the radio business or personal hygiene or feeding myself or anything else, but it seems to me that NPR's Sylvia Poggoli ranks somewhere near the top for holder of Easiest Job in the World:

Sylvia Poggioli is senior European correspondent for NPR's foreign desk and reports from Rome, Italy; the Balkans; other parts of Europe; and the Middle East. Poggioli can be heard on NPR's award-winning newsmagazines Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Weekend Edition.
Yes, she can be heard on those programs once in a while, and I suspect it's true that she reports from places other than Rome now and again, but my impression is that she lives in Rome and files a report from there a few times a month. I'm having a hard time picturing very much sweat on the brow with that line of work.

True, reporting from the Balkans and the Middle East can be deadly, but reporting from Rome? The last dangerous moment in reporting from Rome must have been amid the commotion associated with one of Italy's side changes in a world war, if not the last days of the Roman Empire.

Someone else near the top has to be NPR's Nina Totenberg:
Nina Totenberg is NPR's award-winning legal affairs correspondent. Her reports air regularly on NPR's critically acclaimed newsmagazines All Things Considered, Morning Edition, and Weekend Edition.
I keep waiting for a sentence in Nina Totenberg's reporting that's less banal than whatever is currently crawling across the bottom of CNN's broadcast. Blandly accurate is better than boringly false, I suppose.

A casual reader would read the above and conclude I detest NPR or something. On the contrary, I willingly give them money! The same casual reader would note that I am a Category Five asshole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I nominate Andy Richter:

On February 24, 2009 it was announced that Richter would be joining Conan O'Brien once again as the announcer for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien in Los Angeles. Richter said he enjoyed having a steady paycheck again and not having to deal with production companies while developing television shows.

I think Andy would agree with the "easy job" classification.