Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fathers to Spinal Tap: Rush and 2112

Surely a substantial portion of the inspiration for Spinal Tap derives from Rush, and specifically from their seminal 1976 album, 2112, the "remastered" CD of which I purchased today ($7!), no longer content to wait another 12 or 13 hours for KGON to re-broadcast it in long format.

The album is perhaps best known for introducing the Rush "star man" graphic, which no self-respecting teen of the 1970s and 1980s failed to doodle during class, and which lives on in a few million threadbare concert t-shirts (and rugs too, apparently). Upon opening the jewel case today, I was reminded of its other, less remembered but no less striking visual offerings.

Notwithstanding any of the above, and notwithstanding the over-the-top earnestness of Neil Peart's lyrical affinities for the thinking, such as it is, of Ayn Rand, I love Rush and I love 2112. I wonder how and why I went so long without it.

Oh yea, it was probably because KGON plays the album roughly twice daily. That helps quell the longings.

Here's what I mean about Spinal Tap -- try not to see some Rush in this -- I say it can't be done, and certainly shouldn't be:

No comments: