Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pavement Reuniting for Tour Dates. Yawn.


While I haven't done any direct size comparisons, I'm pretty sure I'm among the biggest fans of Pavement on the planet, nay the entire solar system. That being so, I am slightly surprised that I don't care about this news:

After years of speculation, the most important American band of the Nineties is returning to the stage with the lineup of Mark Ibold, Scott "Spiral Stairs" Kannberg, Stephen Malkmus, Bob Nastanovich and Steve West reuniting for dates around the world in 2010.
Yawn, sigh. I say that -- "yawn, sigh" -- in recognition that world-weariness is the mandatory response to this development, since we're talking about Pavement here, among the pioneers of world-weary, irony-laden, hyper-self-aware "indy"-ness that stamped The Music Trends of the 1990s with their own quasi-delightful and damnnear-distinct brand of tediousness. Will the band be selling nice t-shirts as part of this new tour? I might go if they sell nice t-shirts and promise not to play "Carrot Rope" -- and by that I mean promise not to play "Carrot Rope" in any live show, not just the live show I attend. I continue to receive no replies to my many written pleas to the members of the band to have "Carrot Rope" expunged from all future printings of Terror Twilight.

They should play "Spit on a Stranger," however, and "Grave Architecture" and "You Are a Light" and "Gold Soundz" and "Fight This Generation" -- definitely "Fight This Generation" -- and "Passat Dream" and "Range Life" and "Father to the Sister of a Thought" and so on. Just not "Carrot Rope" -- there is no t-shirt that can justify the abomination that is "Carrot Rope," recordings of which this precious, precious blog will never stoop to link to.

I adore Pavement; so much so, I'm hesitant to see them in a "we need to make some house payments" tour. I scoff at the very idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

open your heart to the Carrot Rope.
-do it now.

Step said...

Dude
Its like this. Carrot Rope just needs a little context. And the context is provided by the vidoe clip, with the yellow rain coats and blue tarp back drop. Some kind of bizzare last hoorah maybe. I used to feel the same about CR until I saw the clip.

BTW, I don't think they played carrot rope anywhere... certainly not in australia - although they did get lost and end up in my old home town - Colac !