Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Summer's Last - A Squeak's End

I am happy to report that with hours still to go before summer formally hands over the keys to fall -- precisely 5:18 ET / 2:18 PT today, or as wikipedia so disenchantingly puts the matter,

[a]t an equinox, the Sun is at one of two opposite points on the celestial sphere where the celestial equator (i.e. declination 0) and ecliptic intersect. These points of intersection are called equinoctial points: the vernal point and the autumnal point. By extension, the term equinox may denote an equinoctial point.

An equinox happens each year at two specific moments in time (rather than two whole days), when there is a location on the Earth's Equator where the centre of the Sun can be observed to be vertically overhead, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year.
As I was saying before so rudely interrupted, I did my good deed for the summer: I shushed the screaming whine of a door in my workplace by use of the parsimonious handy-man's second favorite tool, WD-40, or as wikipedia charmlessly phrases it:
WD-40 is the trademark name of a water-displacing spray widely available in a variety of retail outlets. Developed in 1953 by [Anthony Byatt], founder of the Rocket Chemical Company, San Diego, California. It was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses. WD-40 stands for "Water Displacer - 40th Attempt".
As I was saying, I used some Water Displacer - 40th Attempt to kill the squeak in a door's hinge, so it is now a filthy lie to say I never did anything for anyone all summer long.

I could have submitted the lengthy TPS Reports necessary to summon the building maintenance team, but I wanted the squeak to stop before the next solstice, so I drew on my own personal store of Water Displacer - 40th Attempt and did the difficult but necessary work myself.

No more squeak. Barely more summer.

No comments: