Friday, September 4, 2009

Two Ambivalent Tastes that Taste Great Together: The Nietzsche Family Circus




Having decided earlier today that I shall no longer be surprised at anything, ever*, I now present my new favorite thing, and disavow, deny, denounce, and reject any surprise that it should result from the combination of two things for which I have a love-hate relationship: The Family Circus cartoons and Friedrich Nietzsche's writings, which together produce, not the least bit surprisingly, The Nietzsche Family Circus.

As seen in the examples here, the combination makes for the weirdly congruent, the weirdly incongruous, and the delightfully, weirdly evocative. Which is which, you ask? I'm surprised you'd ask that of me. No, I'm not.

Nietzsche is always ripe for bibliomancy if for nothing else, and I swear upon a stack of Bibles, Korans, signed first editions of Judge Judy's autobiography, and lavish triple-ply toilet paper that the following is the first passage I came to -- from Twilight of the Idols as reprinted in The Portable Nietzsche:

Nothing is beautiful, except man alone: all aesthetics rests upon his naivete, which is its first truth. Let us immediately add the second: nothing is ugly except the degenerating man -- and with this the realm of aesthetic judgment is circumscribed.
Surprisingly apposite. No, it isn't.

* Or until the next relevant mood swing, whichever comes first.

1 comment:

Domestically Challenged said...

Brilliant, simply brilliant.