Thursday, October 1, 2009

Portland Marathon 2009 -- Left on the Impulse Aisle

For the first time since the first Sunday of October 2005, I won't be spending the first Sunday of October running 26.2 of the ugliest miles through one of the USA's most beautiful cities, as I will not participate in this year's Portland Marathon. I have passed by the registration for it on the impulse aisle countless times in these last weeks and months, but I've never added it to my cart.

I make no excuses for it. I am lazy. I tell myself I am allowing myself to pine after it for a year, that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I tell myself a lot of things.

Murphy's Law dictates that this year's finisher shirt will be best ever -- black, a nice shade of purple, orange, something like that. I won't get one unless and until I peel one off the back of a fallen runner.

As of this writing, the weather forecast for Sunday looks wonderful for a two-and-a-half- or three- or four- or five-hour death slog run. I congratulate all the runners in advance, knowing that the bulk of the hard work has already been done, and all that remains is the event so long anticipated and so many times visualized. I wish you all the best in reaching your goals, whatever they may be.

I thank the event coordinators and all the volunteers; I know I should volunteer, and maybe I'll bring myself to do so before the end, but I fear that going there and watching the event without participating will be something like watching my former girlfriend marry my former best friend.

Sigh.

No comments: