Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas on Screen

I don't care for many of the Christmas films -- Miracle on 34th Street gives me the hives, White Christmas gives me the green apple splatters, I don't want to talk about the terrors that the claymation classics have wrought in my dreams over the years.

On the other hand, I do like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation more than not, I can appreciate A Christmas Story despite its excess of popular adulation, and I keep hearing good things about the Will Ferrell vehicle, Elf, though I've never seen it.

Whatever it says about me, my favorite Christmas movie is It's a Wonderful Life, the updated and Americanized take on Dickens's A Christmas Carol (the many direct adaptations of which always seem to fall short). Some large portion of whatever positive feelings I have about Jimmy Stewart's on-screen persona is bound up in this particular scene:

2 comments:

Ian McCullough said...

Die Hard is probably the best Christmas movie, A Christmas Story I saw in the theater at the right age, Elf is just fine, but I think the Justice League episode "Comfort and Joy" from season 2 is my current favorite kiddie Christmas special.

MinTX said...

Christmas Vacation replaced our family's annual viewing of It's a Wonderful Life several years ago. Hallelujah, holy shit!