Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Gnat-Borne Cautionary Tale


Meet the eye gnat. This unspeakably hideous creature, I re-learned the hard way today, is the reason I always wear sunglasses while I'm out running, regardless of weather or lighting: because if I don't, one of these miserable little shits will sacrifice himself for the apparently-gnat-pleasing experience of flying directly into my eye.

These filthy, wretched little monsters

... frequently congregate around the eyes to lap at the fluids. They are primarily a nuisance pest, and do not bite. They have been linked with the spread of bovine mastitis in North America, and in certain tropical regions, they are capable of vectoring disease-causing bacteria (e.g., yaws).
Now, because I didn't feel like putting on my sunglasses, I probably have a case of yaws and bovine mastitis, and I certainly have the rotting remains of a gnat in my eye.

Don't be like me.

No comments: